Why Apply to the School of Medicine
University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine
Enriching Student Experience
- Small class sizes: We admit approximately 70 students each year, giving us a 3-1 faculty-student ratio and a small community feel.
- Student involvement: Our students participate in many student organizations on campus and in the community. They also serve as student representatives on various committees that make decisions about their medical education.
- Learning support: We have an on-site Learning Center with full time faculty who provide services and resources throughout your four years in medical school.
- Systems-based curriculum that integrates clinical and basic science concepts throughout the first two years.
- State-of-the-art anatomy lab provides hands-on training in the human body using cadavers and our own specialized curriculum.
- Students get early exposure to the clinical environment by seeing patients in Year 1.
- Diverse clinical opportunities during third and fourth years in hospitals and clinics throughout the state, including our Reno, Las Vegas and Elko campuses and other rural sites.
- Dual degree programs including M.D./Ph.D., M.D./MPH, and M.D./MBA.
- Active multi-discipline training with medical simulation technology.
- Scholarly concentrations in a variety of specialties available with a longitudinal research component.
- Received nearly $60 million in multi-year grant funding to study causes and treatments of diseases.
- Finding causes and treatments for muscular dystrophy, gastrointestinal disorders, HIV, infertility, cancer, infectious diseases and battlefield injuries
- Various clinical and basic science research projects during the summer are available to our medical students.
- Project Upstream at the Student Outreach Clinic surveys patients about the social determinants of health which impact their lives and long-term health outcomes.
- Nearly 50 years of training future physicians to lead the way for better healthcare in Nevada, the nation and around the world.
- The first public medical school in the state of Nevada.
- USMLE Step and Shelf Exam scores are consistently above the national average.
- 98.2% ten-year match rate into the country's most competitive physician residency programs.
- 14 established residency and 19 fellowship programs statewide.
- The Student Outreach Clinic (SOC), a free clinic run by our second year medical students, provides quality medical care to the uninsured or underinsured community in Northern Nevada since 1996.
- Patient care clinics serving Elko, Henderson, Las Vegas and Reno.
- Innovative telehealth clinics for rural Nevada communities through Project ECHO.
- Year 4 community-based electives offered for students interested in being involved and giving back to the community.
- University of Nevada, Reno is picturesque, walkable, and bike-friendly.
- Numerous restaurants, cafes, social activities and robust nightlife (24-hour town).
- Reno – a four-season city – is urbanized yet has a small town feel; just minutes from world-class mountain resorts like Squaw Valley in Lake Tahoe and hours from wine country and San Francisco.
- Frequent festivals and annual events in Reno, including the Reno Rodeo, Burning Man, Artown and The Great Reno Balloon Race.