BS-MD Accelerated Program
Early Admissions for Nevada High School Seniors
BS-MD Information Nights
Come learn more about the program and the application process from BS-MD Program coordinators. Talk with current students and alumni about life as a BS-MD student, the classes, and talk with advisors from the various BS-MD majors. Seats are limited, so please reserve yours using our RSVP link.
November 1, 2016 from 5:30-7:30pm
University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine's Las Vegas Campus
1701 W. Charleston Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89102 (Suite 130 classrooms)
November 2, 2016 from 5:30-7:30pm
Univeristy of Nevada, Reno
Pennington Health Sciences (PHS) Building, Room 102
The application is open to students from November 15-January 22 of their high school senior year to enter the program the following fall. The application for the incoming class of 2017 will open on November 15.
- Instructions, Guidelines & Tips for the BS-MD Program Application
- BS-MD Program Reference Letter Request Form
How does the BS-MD program work?
At the time of admission to the BS-MD program, 12 students receive a provisional acceptance to the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine. Students work with the BS-MD Coordinator and an advisor in their approved major at UNR or UNLV to schedule a course plan to complete the Bachelor's Degree requirements throughout three years at the undergraduate institution and the first year in medical school. To be eligible to matriculate to the School of Medicine after the third year, students must maintain a minimum 3.5 overall and science GPA and successfully complete the MCAT. In addition, research and clinical experience will be required of students accepted into the program.
Please check out our Frequently Asked Questions page for more details about the program, the application process, and the interviews.
Who should apply?
Students must meet the following criteria:
- Combined Math/Critical Reading sections* score of 1270 or greater on the SAT, or combined ACT score of 29 or greater;
- Placement in the top 10% of their graduating high school class, or an un-weighted GPA of 3.7;
- Must be a Nevada resident and US Citizenship or permanent resident of the US; Non-US citizens must have a permanent resident visa and Nevada residency;
- Attend a Nevada high school for a minimum of two years and graduate from a Nevada high school;
- Applicants must be first-time freshman applicants to UNR or UNLV and must have applied to the undergraduate institution by February 1st. Students must select which university they will attend before applying to the BS-MD program;
- Healthcare experience (hospital volunteerism, physician shadowing, etc.);
- Other criteria to be evaluated include extracurricular activities, leadership skills, maturity, and work experience.
*The program does not use the writing section score to qualify students for consideration for the BS-MD program. Only the scores in critical reading and math are used.
Students with a GED: It is very common around the country for a GED to meet a requirement for admission to a university or college, but not for a major or specific program which has additional criteria like high school GPA, specific coursework, SAT or ACT test scores. The GED is a specific type of high school diploma, but the exam for the awarding of the GED is not a test for college-readiness. The BS-MD program is an accelerated program and students must be ready to begin calculus and other college level courses. Applicants to the BS-MD program must provide a complete high school transcript as part of the application process.
How do I apply?
The BS-MD application process is separate from that of the undergraduate institutions. Interested students must apply to their university of choice (UNR or UNLV) through the regular application process, then apply to the BS-MD Program. Below is the selection process timeline:
- Application: Open from November 15th through January 22nd each year. All application material must be received by the closing date for consideration.
- Interviews: Interviews will be scheduled on February 24th and 25th in Reno, NV.
- Selection Committee: The Committee will meet on the second week of March.
- Student Notification: All decisions will be sent out the third week of March.
- Deadline for Acceptance: All students who are selected for the program, must accept their space in writing no later than April 2nd.
The BS-MD Selection Committee will select students from applicants who apply using the online supplemental application process. At the time of admission to the BS-MD program, students receive a provisional acceptance to the School of Medicine. All students are required to successfully complete all the undergraduate requirements.
Save the dates: February 24 and 25, 2017
Applicants will be notified via e-mail by the end of the second week in February if they have been selected to interview. You must be available on the above interview dates. All interviews will be conducted in Reno, NV; plan on the entire day for the interview process. The School of Medicine will use a modified version of the Multiple Mini Interviews (MMI) for the BS-MD selection process. Additional information will be provided to applicants as they are invited to interview.
FAQs about the BS-MD Applicant Multiple Mini Interviews
Campus-specific information for current & prospective students:
Undergraduate majors and course sequencing options vary by campus and may require college coursework to be completed the summer before the start of the BS-MD program. Please review the choices and requirements for your preferred undergraduate campus to help you plan for your BS-MD program.
Questions/Updated Information: email Cathy Four.