Students with specific needs who are accepted into the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine may be allowed to delay their matriculation for a year. This program is offered to accepted in‑state and out‑of‑state applicants. Students who have been accepted from the alternate list may not apply for delayed matriculation.
Criteria for application
- Applicant must receive an acceptance to the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine.
- Applicant must submit, in writing, the reason for requesting delayed matriculation to the Office of Admissions and Student Affairs by May 15.
- There will be a limited number of delayed matriculations granted per year.; Unless there are extenuating circumstances, no more than three delayed matriculations will be granted per year.
- Decisions will be based on comparative need and reasons given for a delayed start.
- Decisions for delayed matriculation will be made by June 15.
- Applicant agrees to attend the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine and not apply to any other medical school.
- After the request is approved, applicant must keep in contact with Office of Admissions and Student Affairs, provide an update of activities every 3-4 months throughout the year, and inform the committee of any changes in intent or circumstances of application.
- Applicant must continue to meet the standards for medical school admission.
- If stipulations have been attached to the delay, the Admissions Committee will re-evaluate and re-approve delayed matriculation requests at its March meeting.
- Request for delayed matriculation must be made by May 15 of the application year.
- Applicant must communicate intention to enter medical school by January 1 of the year of matriculation.
- Applicant must complete the AMCAS application for the year of matriculation and forward it to the Office of Admissions and Student Affairs by February 15.