Medical students currently enrolled in an LCME accredited institution are eligible to be considered for transfer to the School of Medicine. Students considering transfer must contact the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine Admissions prior to application to find out if any openings are available.
Applications will be accepted for transfer into the second or third year only. The number of students accepted for transfer in any given year, is based on the number of positions available and applicant's qualifications. Students training in non-LCME accredited schools are ineligible to apply. Applicants who were denied admission to the School of Medicine during their initial applications, or declined our initial offer, are not eligible for transfer from other institutions. Applications for transfer to the School of Medicine will be considered after February 1 of each year. Applications are accepted only when an opening is available to a transfer student.
Criteria for application
- Currently be enrolled and in good academic standing at an LCME accredited, M.D. degree granting medical school.
- Have a tie to the State of Nevada; be a resident of the four western states without a medical school (Alaska, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming) or Utah, New Mexico, Oregon, and Arizona; or, be a resident of the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevada range. Note: applicant must be the age of 24 years or younger as of November 1 of the application year to qualify parent's permanent domicile as evidence of Nevada residency.
- Take and pass USMLE Step 1 if applying for third year.
- Complete a curriculum similar to that of the School of Medicine, which includes introduction to clinical medicine, physical diagnosis, and behavioral sciences. The school reserves the right to determine equivalency.
- Submit a letter explaining the reason for transfer, including tie to state.
- Furnish letter of recommendation from Student Affairs Dean at current school, three letters of academic recommendation, and official transcripts of both undergraduate college and current medical school.
Application deadline April 15.
Applicant will be notified no later than May 15 of decision.
Students considering transfer application, must first contact the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine Admissions Department, via email or phone, to determine if an opening is available.