Family and Guests
Hooding Ceremony Location
The hooding ceremony will take place at Lawlor Events Center. Lawlor is located at 1500 North Virginia Street, approximately one mile north of Interstate 80 and downtown Reno, on the corner of Fifteenth & North Virginia streets. Lawlor Events Center is situated on the north end of the University of Nevada, Reno campus. More information about getting to Lawlor Events Center.
Travel by Air
The Reno-Tahoe International Airport (RNO) is located just five miles from the University campus. The airport is home to seven airlines with convenient access to most of the country.
Parking is available in the Whalen and West Stadium parking garages, which are north and south of Lawlor Events Center. Public parking areas are designated for use by faculty, graduates, families and their friends. The shuttle service will be operating.
- General Parking will be available on the top-two floors of the Brian J. Whalen Parking Complex and in the West Stadium Parking Complex.
Another option is to park downtown and ride the free Sierra Spirit bus to campus. The closest stop is on Virginia Street near the Jot Travis Building.
We recommend downloading the University of Nevada, Reno's parking map, which contains additional information about parking locations and getting to Lawlor Events Center.
For hotel accommodations, we recommend the Atlantis Casino Resort Spa, as this is where the Dean's Dinner is held.
With other institutions' graduations occurring, early room reservations are strongly suggested. For central reservations, call (800) 723-6500.
Additional Lodging Information
For additional information regarding the area’s lodging, dining and entertainment go to Visit Reno Tahoe.
Families, friends, and the general public are cordially invited to attend the academic hooding ceremony. Accessible seating is first come, first served. Seating for individuals with disabilities is available.
- Make plans with your graduate: Finding graduates following the ceremony can be difficult in the crowd. It is recommended that guests make plans before the ceremony on a place to meet afterward.
- Be flexible: Times given for the recession are approximate. If graduation parties are planned following the commencement, be aware that the recession could be earlier or later than the scheduled time.
- Special Accommodations: A sign language interpreter will be on hand for the hooding ceremony. Easy access to Lawlor Events Center is available through the lower level entrance. There is also accessible parking in the metered parking lot outside of Lawlor.
- Prohibited items: Alcohol is prohibited on campus during the commencement ceremony.
- All bags are subject to search: For safety reasons, all bags are subject to search by University Police.
- Guest Services: Report an issue; if you notice something that would benefit from the attention of our staff, please message the Lawlor Events Center Guest Services Text Line (775) 229-5564. Also, stay current with campus information, alerts and services using the SafePack mobile app available free in the App Store and Google Play.