About the Collection
Great Basin History of Medicine Program
Our history of medicine collection consists of more than 7,000 photographs related to the School of Medicine, the Nevada State Medical Association, frontier military medicine in the Great Basin, Nevada hospitals, and doctors in Nevada since 1860.
Our collection includes copies of the Greasewood Tablettes, our history of medicine quarterly bulletin, since its inception in 1989, and ninety-two oral histories relating to public health, the medical school, hospitals, and the practice of medicine and dentistry.
Our medical instrument collection includes the Dr. Donald Mousel eyeglass collection of over 100 items dating from the eighteenth century; the Dr. Fred Anderson collection of early Nevada Indian artifacts and medical instruments; nineteenth century surgical instruments, and early twentieth century medical furniture and instruments.
Our book collection includes titles published by the History of Medicine's Press, Greasewood Press;
- The Healers of Nineteen Century Nevada: A Compendium of Medical Practitioners;
- People Make the Hospital: The History of Washoe Medical Center;
- Good Medicine: Four Las Vegas Doctors and the Golden Age of Medicine;
- Serving Medicine: The Nevada State Medical Association and the Politics of Medicine;
- This won't Hurt a Bit: Harry P. Massoth, A Nevada Dentist;
- The Cutting Edge: Reflections and Memories by Doctors on Medical Advances in Reno; and
- Better Medicine: The History of the University of Nevada School of Medicine.
- Pestilence, Politics, and Pizzazz: Public Health in Las Vegas.
- Nevada Veterinarians: Profiles of Doctors in a Caring Profession.
- The Birthplace of Nevada Medicine: Carson City.
- Doctoring in Nevada: Inspiration, Dedication & History.
- 150 Years of Nevada Medicine: Nevada's Men & Women Healers.
Our collection also includes approximately 50 nineteenth century books; several eighteenth century books; some 110 current monographs on the history of medicine; 50 books on military medicine; early issues of the Bulletin of the Nevada State Medical Association; several other history-related journals; the complete New York Academy of Medicine Library Catalog and the Index-Catalogue of the Library of the Surgeon General's Office, U.S. Army, 1880-1955.