Great Basin History of Medicine Program
The history of medicine library on the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine campus is located in the Savitt Library. It consists of a reading room, conference room, lounge, and museum. It is open to the public. The library is named in honor of the six doctors Hood, who practiced in Nevada. Dr. William Henry Hood was issued Nevada medical license #1 in 1901. Two satellite locations are in the Savitt Basic Science building and an exhibit is on the Las Vegas School of Medicine campus.
The library's holdings includes over 10,000 photographs relating to the School of Medicine, the Nevada Stale Medical Association, frontier military medicine in the Great Basin, Nevada hospitals, and Nevada doctors since 1850. The collection includes 25 years of the Greasewood Tablettes, oral histories relating to public health, hospitals, and the practice or medicine. The library's exhibits include: The Dr. Donald Mousel collection of over 100 eyeglass dating from the 18th century; the Fred Anderson collection of early Nevada Indian artifacts and medical instruments; 19th-century surgery instruments; and early 2oth-century medical furniture and instruments. The book collection includes 22 books published by the Greasewood Press on Nevada history with reference to health science; approximately 50 nineteenth-century books; several 18th-century books; over 110 monographs relating to history or medicine; 50 books on military medicine; early issues or the Bulletin of the Nevada State Medical Association; the complete New York Academy of Medicine Library catalog; the Index Catalog of the Library of the Surgeon General's Office; and U.S. Army frontier hospitals in Nevada from 1860s-1880. The library has a list and information on more than 700 doctors who practiced in Nevada between the 1850 and 1900. The complete collection of the Classics of Medicine is housed in the library. The library also has an archive of over 120 oral histories.