CME continues statewide educational programming
News & Events
By Anne McMillin, APR
The School of Medicine's Office of Continuing Medical Education planned and produced a total of 75 CME activities in 2013. Nearly 7,500 health care professionals attended the school's accredited continuing medical education activities.
A sampling of programs produced last year include:
- Project ECHO Nevada - the Sports Medicine, Antibiotic Stewardship, Dementia, Diabetes, Thyroid Endocrine teleclinics provided more than 600 hours of no-cost CME to rural health care providers.
- Partnered with the American College of Physicians to produce their annual Scientific Meeting in January 2013
- Partnered with the Nevada Psychiatric Association to produce the 18th Annual Psychopharmacology Update in February 2013. This conference brings more than 1,200 psychiatrists and other health care professionals to Las Vegas each year.
- Partnered with the Foundation for Research and Education in Dermatology to produce the Fall Clinical Dermatology Conference in Las Vegas, which brought more than 700 dermatologists to Nevada.
- Opioids Misuse and Abuse - these programs were produced in collaboration with Join Together Northern Nevada, Washoe and Clark County law enforcement and educated more than 500 Nevada physicians on the topic opioid drug abuse in Nevada.
- Partnered with the Nevada Cancer Coalition to produce the annual Nevada Cancer Control Summit in April 2013.
- Partnered with the Department of Internal Medicine Las Vegas to produce the Annual Internal Medicine Symposium.
Locations of these activities included seven events outside of Nevada (in California, Oregon and Pennsylvania), 31 in southern Nevada, 29 in northern Nevada and eight in rural Nevada.
Anne McMillin, APR
Editor, News and Publications
Office: (775) 682-9254
Cell: (775) 427-9377
The University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine is a research-intensive, community-based, statewide medical school that has served Nevada for more than 47 years as its first public medical school. Our vision is a healthy Nevada, supported by our mission: establishing excellence in medical education, medical care, research and community engagement, while committing to a culture of respect, compassion and inclusion. Through targeted growth and investment in research, clinical services, education and outreach, we are a resource for improving health care regionally and across the country. For more information, visit: med.unr.edu.