Affiliation Agreements for Medical Student Education
Office of Medical Education
As a community based medical school we depend heavily on a number of clinical sites for medical student education. The relationship between the school and sites must be spelled out in a formal agreement that guides each clinical site in both general and specific rules related to medical education. Many of these rules are related to the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) accreditation requirements.
Written agreements are necessary with clinical affiliates that are used regularly for required clinical experiences. Agreements may also be warranted with other clinical facilities that have a significant role in the clinical education program.
- Students in 3rd Year Clerkships and 4th Year Electives, including visiting students, may only be supervised by Resident Physicians and Faculty (Academic and Administrative Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Faculty with a part-time Letter of Appointment).
- Affiliation Agreements can take 3-6 months to process. Please allow adequate time when requesting assistance from OME with a new/renewed agreement.
Affiliation Agreements are required for:
- Hospitals/Facilities offering inpatient treatment, including inpatient Psychiatric Facilities
- Surgery Centers
Affiliation Agreements are NOT required for:
- University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine students on away electives that have applied through VSAS; a formal Agreement is not required between the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine and other School/Facility unless requested.
- Physicians in Solo Practice who supervise students: faculty status is required.
- Physicians in Group Practices or Non-Surgery Clinics: The physician supervising students must have faculty status. Students may not work with other physicians in the Group Practice/Clinic unless they also have faculty status. A formal Agreement is not required unless requested by Group Practice/Clinic.
Publications referenced in student Affiliation Agreements
- Institutional Objectives for Medical Students
- Fluid Exposure Policy/Protocol
- Student Mistreatment Policy
- Student Handbook
Questions regarding Education Affiliation Agreements may be directed to Kristen Alexander.