Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Emergency Medicine
- Short Name: EMER661AM.01 Emergency Med
- Course Number: EMER661AM.01
- Location: Reno
Department Contact: Julie Moran B.S., LPN
- Phone: (775) 682-7936
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 4 Weeks
- Emergency Physicians (Renown Medical Center and Renown South Meadows Medical Center)
- Mark Baier, MD
Please contact the department to verify elective availability.
- The students will learn the fundamentals of emergency medicine, including: triage, comprehensive evaluation and appropriate treatment plans.
Description of Rotation
The student will participate in the diagnosis and management of patients admitted to the emergency room with emphasis on practical resuscitative, minor surgical procedures and evaluation of major trauma and acute abdominal problems. They will perform procedures as indicated: IV inserting, debridement and closure of simple wounds; I & D simple abscesses; insertion of bladder catheters; insertion of NG and endotracheal tubes; thoracentesis, paracentesis or peritoneal lavage under supervision of responsible physician.
Howell. Emergency Medicine. Saunders
An oral final examination and written evaluation by the faculty preceptor.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives
Limited to UNR Med students interested in Emergency Medicine residency.