Advanced Clinical Experiences in Family and Community Medicine
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Advanced Clinical Experiences in Family and Community Medicine
- Short Name: FCM661BM.01
- Course Number: FCM661BM.01
- Location: Reno
- Department: Department of Family and Community Medicine
Department Contact: Christie Gilbreath
- Phone: (775) 682-6454
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 4 weeks (2 – 5 negotiable)
- Preceptor: Marcia Lu, M.D.
Please contact the Department of Family and Community Medicine to verify elective availability.
- This is a four-week elective in which the student will be exposed to comprehensive evaluation and management of patients and their families in the office as well as the hospital.
- The student serves as the patient's primary caregiver and is expected to make management decisions under direct supervision of the hospital resident and attending, and also works closely with the first-year resident and 3rd-year medical students on the team.
- Range of patients from obstetrics and newborn care to geriatrics.
Description of Rotation
The student will spend mornings on hospital rounds at both Renown Regional Medical Center and St. Mary's Regional Medical Center. Afternoons will be spent in the Family Medicine Center doing ambulatory care. Educational activities include daily work and attending rounds, twice-weekly morning report, and weekly resident conference series. All patient write-ups will be supervised and co-signed by residents and attendings. Some short presentations on assigned subjects will be given at morning report.
Family Medicine Principles and Practice, by Robert B. Taylor, M.D. or
Textbook of Family Practice by Robert E. Rakel
Other texts such as Harrison's, Nelson, Williams and others for more specialized subjects.
Clinical Performance Evaluation Sheet for Nevada students, student's medical school's evaluation.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives