FCM661BM.11 (Las Vegas)
Advanced Clinical Experiences in Family and Community Medicine
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Advanced Clinical Experiences in Family and Community Medicine
- Short Name: FCM661BM.11 Family & Comm Med
- Course Number: FCM661BM.11
- Location: Las Vegas
- Department: Department of Family Medicine: Las Vegas
Department Contact: Laura Shaw M.D.
- Email: email@example.com
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 4 Weeks
- Laura Shaw, M.D.
- Department Faculty
Please contact the Department of Family Medicine: Las Vegas to verify elective availability.
- At the end of this rotation, students should be able to demonstrate an ability to provide primary care on a sub-internship level.
- Students should be able to perform a complete history, physical examination and assessment of patients of all ages, including obstetrics.
- Advanced knowledge of the diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions commonly encountered in family medicine will be obtained.
- The purpose of this rotation is to prepare students for an internship in family medicine.
Description of Rotation
This is an inpatient rotation based at University Medical Center in Las Vegas. Students will work closely
with senior residents, assuming increased responsibility for the admission and ongoing care of hospitalized patients. Call requirements will be 5 AM to 5 PM daily, with an average of one day off in seven. Attendance at twice weekly morning report and Thursday afternoon resident didactic conferences will be required. Students may be asked to assist in discussions at the departmental morning report and will be required to present one evidence-based medicine topic during the rotation.
- Pocket Medicine: The Massachusetts General Handbook of Internal Medicine
- The University of Iowa Family Medicine Handbook
The standard clerkship evaluation forms will be utilized by the instructor and student.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives