Primary Care Sports Medicine
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Primary Care Sports Medicine
- Short Name: FCM661HM.01 Sports Medicine
- Course Number: FCM661HM.01
- Location: Reno
- Department: Department of Family and Community Medicine
Department Contact: Christie Gilbreath
- Phone: (775) 682-6454
- Email: email@example.com
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 3 - 4 Weeks (Offered during September and October only) Very limited - have four spots available!
- Course Coordinator – Arthur Islas, M.D.
- Sports Preceptor - Mark Stovak, M.D.
Please contact the Department of Family and Community Medicine to verify elective availability.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of various health-care providers in managing sports related problems.
- Recognize and manage (or refer) uncomplicated acute athletic injuries.
Description of Rotation
Students will rotate with various healthcare providers throughout this elective. They are expected to be appropriately dressed, arrive on time and express a desire to learn from each provider.
Binder with pertinent articles is loaned to students during the rotation.
Evaluations are completed by each provider that the student works with and a summary is then completed by the coordinator.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives
(Offered during September and October only) Very limited - have four spots available! A Spring rotation may be offered at discretion of Department.