Family Medicine Scholar
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Family Medicine Scholar
- Short Name: FCM661SM.01 Fam Med Scholar
- Course Number: FCM661SM.01
- Location: Reno
- Department: Department of Family and Community Medicine
Department Contact: Christie Gilbreath
- Phone: (775) 682-6454
- Email: email@example.com
- Type: Clinical
- Length: Longitudinal (approximately 40 hours)
- Preceptor: Daniel Spogen, M.D.
Please contact the Department of Family and Community Medicine to verify elective availability.
- Need to be added
Description of Rotation
The Family Medicine Scholar is a 4th year medical student with a career interest in Family Medicine. The main purpose of the rotation is to develop leadership and teaching skills in an academic family medicine setting. Family Medicine Scholars will interact with third-year medical students during the family medicine clerkship, such as involvement with community outreach activities and supplemental instruction sessions. There will also be opportunities to work with the Nevada Academy of Family Physicians and the American Academy of Family Physicians. This rotation is expected to encompass the entire academic year, mostly involving afternoons that are scheduled in advance.
Shields, HM. A Medical Teacher's Manual for Success: Five Simple Steps. JHU Press, 2010.
The standard clerkship evaluation forms will be utilized by the instructor and student.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives
Can be applied toward Scholarly Concentration in Family Medicine.
An accepted application is required prior to enrolling in this rotation. Please contact the preceptor for additional information.