Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Clinical Neurology
- Short Name: IMED661BM.01 Clinical Neurology
- Course Number: IMED661BM.01
- Location: Reno
- Department: Department of Internal Medicine
Department Contact: Dawn Younie
- Phone: (775) 327-5174
- Email: email@example.com
- Type: Clinical
- Length: Length: 4 week rotation only
- J. Ivan Lopez, M.D.
- Jonathan Spivack, M.D.
- Melissa Bloch, M.D.
- Kim Bigley, M.D.
- Yen-Yi Peng, M.D.
Please contact the Department of Internal Medicine to verify elective availability.
- Build a fundamental understanding of the pathophysiology, clinical manifestation, and prognosis of major neurological disorders.
- Develop skills in conducting a proficient neurological examination.
- Develop skills in neuroanatomical localization of the lesion(s) using data collected from the clinical exam.
- Develop skills in formulating a differential diagnosis of the disease.
- Learn how to select and order diagnostic studies in accord with the differential diagnosis.
- Learn how to select therapeutic options in treatment of neurological disease.
Description of Rotation
A four-week course in which students participate in the care of hospitalized and ambulatory patients with neurological disorders. This elective is recommended, as neurologic illness is common to all specialties and competence in neurologic exam and other skills are critical for a well-rounded physician. Dr. Lopez sees some pediatric patients as well and some pediatric experience can be incorporated based on student desire.
Neurology for the House Officer
Ongoing subjective clinical evaluation
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives
Must start at the beginning of a block. Max. 3 students per block.
For questions concerning the elective, please contact: Peggie Smith (775) 982-9949 PSmith@Renown.org