IMED661EM.11 (Las Vegas)
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Endocrinology
- Short Name: IMED661EM.11 Endocrinology
- Course Number: IMED661EM.11
- Location: Las Vegas
- Department: Department of Internal Medicine: Las Vegas
Department Contact: Anthony Terrell
- Phone: (702) 671-2345
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 2 - 4 weeks
- Preceptor: Kenneth Izuora, M.D., MBA, Assistant Professor, Section Chief
Please contact the Department of Internal Medicine: Las Vegas to verify elective availability.
- Management of patients with endocrine and metabolic disorders.
- Knowledge of major endocrine and metabolic diseases, as well as their process, treatment and natural progression.
- To understand the principles of endocrine and metabolic testing, indications, and implications of results.
- Interpretation standard and provocative endocrine tests, thyroid fine needle aspirations and insulin therapies.
- Knowledge of endocrine and metabolic drugs, their uses and interactions.
- They will learn monitoring of home blood glucose and intensive insulin therapies.
Description of Rotation
The student will act as a team member on both outpatient and inpatient consultations. This will allow the student to see a number of patients at various stages of their disease as well as monitoring the progress of the disease and treatment.
- Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine (Endocrinology & Metabolism section)
- Student Endocrinology articles.
History/Physical examination skills, presentations, participation and attendance.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives