Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Hematology/Oncology
- Short Name: IMED661JM.01 Hematology/Oncology
- Course Number: IMED661JM.01
- Location: Reno
- Department: Department of Internal Medicine
Department Contact: Dawn Younie
- Phone: (775) 327-5174
- Email: email@example.com
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 4 weeks
Please contact the Department of Internal Medicine to verify elective availability.
- Make students proficient in the bedside evaluation of patients with hematologic or neoplastic disorders.
- Increase student knowledge of pathophysiology, clinical manifestations and prognosis of common neoplastic disorders.
- Acquaint students with diagnostic techniques and multi-disciplinary treatment programs used in this sub-specialty of medicine.
- Make the student proficient in the examination of peripheral blood smears and acquaint him/her with the examination of bone marrow biopsies and other pathological specimens.
Description of Rotation
A two to four-week course in ambulatory and inpatient hematology and oncology in which students participate in the primary care of and consultation on patients with hematologic or neoplastic disorders. This elective is currently located only at the Reno VAMC.
Up-to-date online textbook
Ongoing subjective clinical evaluation of student performance by the preceptor.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives