Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Infectious Diseases
- Short Name: IMED661KM.01 Infectious Diseases
- Course Number: IMED661KM.01
- Location: Reno
- Department: Department of Internal Medicine
Department Contact: Dawn Younie
- Phone: (775) 327-5174
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Type: Clinical
- Length: This is a 4 week only rotation.
- Charles G. Krasner, M.D.
- Kevin Murphy, M.D.
Please contact the Department of Internal Medicine to verify elective availability.
- Increased understanding of antibiotic therapy.
- Proper interpretation of Gram stains and basic micro labs tests.
- Evaluation and treatment of the HIV-infected patient.
- Management of chronic Hepatitis B and C.
- Treatment of common infectious disease problems including endocarditis, osteomyelitis, pneumonia.
- Discuss ID topics specific to the student’s planned specialty.
Description of Rotation
Students placed with Dr. Murphy will see inpatient infectious disease consultations at Carson Tahoe (1 week), Saint Mary's (1 week), Renown (1 week) and Northern Nevada Medical Center (1 week).
Dr. Krasner has clinics and hospital rounds at various locations in Reno including HOPES Clinic, VA Medical Center and Renown. They will participate in antibiotic rounds at NNMC twice a week. Students will round with the infectious disease specialist five days a week. No weekend rounds. Ample time for reading and/or research is provided and specific topics will be assigned.
Standard textbooks, plus student is expected to be able to do independent literature review.
Evaluation by preceptors.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives
Students will be placed with either Dr. Krasner or Dr. Murphy depending on availability. There are limits on numbers of students per 4 week block.
Students are to contact Dr. Krasner by cell phone or Dr. Murphy through his answering service the week prior to starting the elective to find out where and when to start.