IMED661KM.11 (Las Vegas)
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Infectious Diseases
- Short Name: IMED661KM.11 Infectious Diseases
- Course Number: IMED661KM.11
- Location: Las Vegas
- Department: Department of Internal Medicine: Las Vegas
Department Contact: Anthony Terrell
- Phone: (702) 671-2345
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 2 - 4 Weeks
- Alan Greenberg, M.D.
- Shadaba Asad, M.D.
Please contact the Department of Internal Medicine: Las Vegas to verify elective availability.
- The student is expected to do all the infectious disease consultations requested and to follow these patients with daily examinations and appropriate handwritten notes.
Description of Rotation
Emphasis is placed on differential diagnosis and therapy. Attention will be given to basic pathophysiology and laboratory diagnosis. There is a one-on-one relationship with the attending sub- specialist. Literature review is considered an important part of the training and the student is expected to do mini reports. Infectious diseases encompasses many areas of medicine and, by this fact, the student will have an in depth experience of medicine.
- Mandell's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases, 5th Edition.
- Resse Betts's Practical Approach to Infectious Disease, 4th Edition.
Each student will receive a written evaluation by the attending physician that will be submitted to the Department of internal medicine. A verbal discussion of the student's performance will also be done. The students are encouraged to turn to the attending physician for advice, help or feedback.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives
The grade will be determined on the amount of participation in discussion and literature review as well as the ability to take a history and perform a physical examination