Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Intensive Care
- Short Name: IMED661MM.01 Intensive Care
- Course Number: IMED661MM.01
- Location: Reno
- Department: Department of Internal Medicine: Las Vegas
Department Contact: Dawn Younie
- Phone: (775) 327-5174
- Email: email@example.com
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 2-4 Weeks
- Preceptor: ICU attendings at the VAMC, Reno
Please contact the Department of Internal Medicine: Las Vegas to verify elective availability.
- To increase the student's experience in caring for the critically ill patient.
- To learn more about the interventions used in the critical care setting, such as ventilator management, neurodynamic monitoring, shock states, etc.
Description of Rotation
A four week course at the Reno VAMC designed to provide experience in the care of the critically ill patient. The student will be expected to assume primary responsibility for the care of the patients under the direction of a senior resident. The student will take call and act as a sub intern. (See Special Notes.)
Up to Date and a collection of critical care articles are available in the ICU
Ongoing subjective clinical evaluation
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives
The student is expected to take call during this elective and average of every 4 days throughout the rotation, the same as interns on the same service.