IMED661RM.11 (Las Vegas)
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Short Name: IMED661RM.11 Physical Med/Rehab
- Course Number: IMED661RM.11
- Location: Las Vegas
- Department: Department of Internal Medicine: Las Vegas
Department Contact: Anthony Terrell
- Phone: (702) 671-2345
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 4 weeks
- Preceptor: Eric Aguila, M.D.
Please contact the Department of Internal Medicine: Las Vegas to verify elective availability.
- To gain an understanding of musculoskeletal and neurological deficits in general and of the role physical medicine and rehabilitation in the management of patients.
- To learn to perform systematic musculoskeletal examination.
- To become familiar with different physical therapy instruments, their utility and prostatic devices used for rehabilitation management of patients.
Description of Rotation
Two to four weeks will be spent in both the ambulatory clinic as well as going to see hospital inpatients. The student will learn the non-surgical management of musculoskeletal issues. This will include patient consultations and follow-up exams, as well as monitoring patients during course of treatment. This rotation may include specialized clinics.
- Physical Examination of the Spine & Extremities, Stanley Hoppenfield
- Text Book of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, J. Delisa
- Text Book of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Braddon
- Optional Addition: Review Article
- History & Physical examination skills.
- Oral presentation of selected articles to the preceptor with literature reviews on relevant topics.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives
Based upon the elements discussed under the section of "evaluation methods" and timely attendance in the clinics.
Available only to UNR Med students.