Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Pulmonary Medicine
- Short Name: IMED661SM.01 Pulmonary Med
- Course Number: IMED661SM.01
- Location: Reno
- Department: Department of Internal Medicine
Department Contact: Dawn Younie
- Phone: (775) 327-5174
- Email: email@example.com
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 2-4 Weeks
- Nitinkumar Bhatt, M.D.
- Waseem Ahmed, M.D.
Please contact the Department of Internal Medicine to verify elective availability.
- To learn the bedside evaluation of patients with pulmonary disease.
- To increase knowledge of pulmonary pathophysiology and management.
- To learn indications for and interpretation of pulmonary function testing, arterial blood gases and radiographic studies of the lungs.
Description of Rotation
Under direct supervision of the Chief, Pulmonary Medicine at the VAMC, students will perform consultations on inpatients with pulmonary problems. There will be emphasis on correlation of physical examination of the chest, radiological imaging of the chest, pulmonary function test, sleep and exercise studies, bronchoscopic findings, and the pathobiology of chest diseases. Students will participate in the ambulatory care of pulmonary disease patients by seeing patients in various clinics. Students will have the opportunity to observe all procedures performed on patients during the elective.
Harrison's Textbook of Medicine; other materials are made available during the rotation.
Ongoing subjective clinical evaluation by the preceptor.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives