Hospice Care/Palliative Medicine
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Hospice Care/Palliative Medicine
- Short Name: IMED662DM.01 Hospice/Palliative
- Course Number: IMED662DM.01
- Location: Reno
- Department: Department of Internal Medicine
Department Contact: Dawn Younie
- Phone: (775) 327-5174
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 2 or 4 weeks (4 weeks preferred)
- Kelle Brogan, M.D. Renown Medical Center
- Kelly Conright, M.D. Reno VA Medical Center
- Neila Shumaker, M.D. Reno VA Medical Center
Please contact the Department of Internal Medicine to verify elective availability.
- To increase the student's understanding of caring for patients with a limited life expectancy.
- To learn more about the treatment of pain in hospice patients.
- To learn discussions of advanced directives and resuscitation (code) status.
Description of Rotation
A four week course in Hospice and Palliative medicine in which the student will learn an approach to care that improves the quality of life for patients and families facing life threatening illness. In hospice and palliative medicine, treatment focus is shifted from disease management to prevention of emotional, social, spiritual and physical suffering related to life limiting illness. Students will have opportunity to make patient visits in the home or inpatient setting with physicians, nurse practitioners, chaplains, nurses and counselors and then present cases at weekly interdisciplinary team meetings. Students will gain knowledge in pain management and palliation of non-pain symptoms such as nausea, delirium, depression and anxiety. Additionally, students will be educated in the regulatory aspects of hospice care including prognostication and hospice certification.
Reading material is provided.
Ongoing subjective clinical evaluation by the preceptor.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives