IMED662EM.11 (Las Vegas)
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Radiation Oncology
- Short Name: IMED662EM.11 Radiation Oncology
- Course Number: IMED662EM.11
- Location: Las Vegas
- Department: Department of Internal Medicine: Las Vegas
Department Contact: Anthony Terrell
- Phone: (702) 671-2345
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 2 - 4 weeks
- Preceptor: Raul T. Meoz, M.D.
Please contact the Department of Internal Medicine: Las Vegas to verify elective availability.
- To gain an understanding of oncology in general and of the role if radiation oncology in the management of cancer patients.
- To learn the multidisciplinary approach of cancer treatment.
Description of Rotation
Two to four weeks spent at Nevada Radiation Oncology Center (main office). The student will be exposed to radiation biology, radiation oncology physics, dosimetry, simulation, patient consultations and follow-up exams, as well as monitoring patients during course of treatment. The student will be exposed to special treatment techniques such as conventional and high dose rate brachytherapy and stereotactic radiation therapy.
- L. Coia and D. Moylan. Introduction to Radiation Oncology
- Medical Physics Publishing, 3rd Edition or later.
Subjective - Ongoing evaluation of student performance by the instructor.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives