Vascular Medicine and Preventive Cardiology
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Vascular Medicine and Preventive Cardiology
- Short Name: IMED662LM.01 Vasc Med & Prev Card
- Course Number: IMED662LM.01
- Location: Reno
- Department: Department of Internal Medicine
Department Contact: Dawn Younie
- Phone: (775) 327-5174
- Email: email@example.com
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 2 or 4 weeks
- Preceptor: Michael J. Bloch, M.D.
Please contact the Department of Internal Medicine to verify elective availability.
- To increase the student's understanding of cardiovascular risk assessment.
- To learn more about the treatment risk factors for atherosclerosis including hypertension, dyslipidemia, diabetes and the metabolic syndrome.
- To become proficient in management of outpatient oral anti-coagulation.
- To gain an appreciation for the utility of the vascular lab and the risks and benefits of vascular intervention surgery.
Description of Rotation
- Direct involvement in the care of patients referred to Renown Heart and Vascular Institute and University Health Internal Medicine under direct supervision of preceptor (approximately 2.5 days per week)
- Involvement in research visits for clinical trials (approximately 0.5 days per week)
- Observation of vascular lab at University Health Internal Medicine or Renown (approximately 0.5 days per week)
- Opportunity to observe vascular surgery cases at Renown Regional Medical Center
- Observation of anticoagulation management (approximately 0.5 days/week) -Ample time for independent study provided
Reading material is provided and includes JNC7, ACC/AHA Scientific Statement on Resistant Hypertension, ACC/AHA Guidelines for Management of Blood Cholesterol.
Ongoing subjective clinical evaluation by the preceptor
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives