International Medical Experience
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: International Medical Experience
- Short Name: IMED662PM.01 International Experience
- Course Number: IMED662PM.01
- Location: Reno
- Department: Department of Internal Medicine
Department Contact: Dawn Younie
- Phone: (775) 327-5174
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 4 weeks
- Kirk Bronander, MD
- Leissan Sadykova, MPH
Please contact the Department of Internal Medicine to verify elective availability.
- Obtain experience with international patients and physicians serving patients in another country.
- Understand the challenges of cross-cultural medicine including the social and economic aspects of disease.
- Understand the challenges of public health and preventive medicine in the elective country.
Description of Rotation
This elective is an international medical experience with the non profit Advocates for Rural Health (ARCH). Students will work in community health clinics located in Uganda or other countries that ARCH has developed a program in. Students will learn about the health care needs of the community and work alongside national healthcare providers to help provide care. They will be supervised by a local physician and receive an evaluation. ARCH will provide housing and other support while in the country. This is a competitive elective as the space is limited. An application will need to be completed and all the necessary forms for UNR travel will need to be completed. A committee will approve and determine the participants depending on both academic performance and professional traits. Because of the amount of preparation required, the deadline for signing up may differ from the other electives at UNR Med.
Students will be responsible for writing a minimum 3 page, double spaced reflective essay that summarizes the experience and includes a reflection on the value of the experience to the student. The essay should be well written with proper grammar and content. An honors level essay is required for an honors evaluation. UNR Med's Clinical Performance Evaluation will be completed by the on-site preceptor and submitted to the course coordinator for final grade determination and comments.
Grade: Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives
For additional information please review all the documents on the International Medical Experience web site created for this elective.