Nutrition and Metabolic Disorders
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Nutrition and Metabolic Disorders
- Short Name: IMED668.01 Nutr/Metabolic Disorders
- Course Number: IMED668M.01
- Location: Reno
- Department: Department of Internal Medicine
Department Contact: Dawn Younie
- Phone: (775) 327-5174
- Email: email@example.com
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 2 Weeks
- Preceptor: Karmella Thomas, R.D., L.D., CDE
Please contact the Department of Internal Medicine to verify elective availability.
- Demonstrate in-depth understanding of the effects of nutrition assessment and interventions on the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of specific nutrition related diseases of stages of lifecycle development in which they are interested.
- Work with their preceptor to define this flexible experience to prepare them for comprehensive medical care, especially as related to their future goals.
- Be able to professionally present the results of clinical nutrition experience to the faculty and peers at the conclusion of their rotation.
Description of Rotation
This two-week elective gives students the opportunity to apply the nutrition principles for the prevention and treatment of common chronic diseases. The students will participate in the outpatient clinical care of adult patients with obesity, lipid disorders, diabetes mellitus, hypertension and coronary heart disease. Students will work with members of the Wellness and Weight Management Clinic (Internal Medicine Department, Reno) healthcare team that include: physicians, dieticians and an exercise physiologist.
Quality of precepted medical clinic visits and chart notes. Ongoing evaluation of student performance by the preceptor and any site specific preceptors.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives
Can be applied toward Scholarly Concentration in Nutrition.