Advanced Clinical Experiences in Underserved Areas
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Advanced Clinical Experiences in Underserved Areas
- Short Name: MED661LM.01 Adv Clin Exp Underserved
- Course Number: MED661LM.01
- Location: Reno
- Department: Office of Medical Education: Reno
Department Contact: Jamie Anderson M.S., M.A.
- Phone: (775) 682-7728
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 2 - 4 Weeks
- Preceptor: Various physicians in underserved ambulatory clinics including, but not limited to, Community Health Centers in Reno, Carson City, and Las Vegas.
Please contact the Office of Medical Education: Reno to verify elective availability.
- The goal of this elective is to increase the student’s knowledge and skills of the administrative and/or clinical care frameworks of federally designated urban underserved sites.
- Coordination skills in an interdisciplinary model of care and team functioning skills are emphasized.
Description of Rotation
Students are assigned a primary preceptor(s) who in concert with the student designs the learning experience emphasizing an administrative and/or clinical care focus. The preceptor may be the CEO and/or the medical director of the site. Students are expected to actively participate in all activities/meetings/programs that occur during the elective. At the discretion of the preceptor and approval by the Course Coordinator, the student may be assigned a project to research and/or develop during the elective experience.
Optional: See Course Coordinator for resource list.
Each preceptor completes UNR Med's Clinical Performance Evaluation and submits it to the Course Coordinator for determination of the student's grade. Student submits the one page required written assignment: Assessment of the Underserved Site in meeting the Health Care Delivery Needs of the Designated Population. An exit interview is also required at the completion of the elective.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives