MED661TM.11 (Las Vegas)
Supplemental Instruction for Clerkships
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Supplemental Instruction for Clerkships
- Short Name: MED661TM.11 Supplemental Instruction
- Course Number: MED661TM.11
- Location: Las Vegas
- Department: Office of Medical Education: Reno
Department Contact: Ranna Nash
- Phone: (775) 682-8355
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Type: Non-Clinical
- Length: Longitudinal
- Preceptor: Ranna Nash, M.A.
Please contact the Office of Medical Education: Reno to verify elective availability.
- Students will be able to learn teaching methodology for direct application to undergraduate medical education.
- Students will be able to instruct third year medical students in clerkship course material in preparation for their NBME Subject Examinations.
- Students will be able to work with the Supplemental Instruction Coordinator to give and receive timely, accurate, and appropriate instructional feedback to improve their teaching skills.
Description of Rotation
Students apply new knowledge of teaching to Supplemental Instruction (SI) sessions for third year students as they prepare for NBME Subject exams. Students will train to facilitate interactive SI sessions and then will facilitate twelve one-hour sessions for students. Students are given material to utilize during the initial training date and work closely with clerkship directors and clerkship assistants in developing a schedule that best fits the clerkship. Students are required to prepare for each session. They must observe another colleague's SI session and provide feedback. SI sessions meet as small groups held in conjunction with a clerkship lecture to insure attendance by third year students.
Students must attend a two-hour training session on the process and methodology of SI. A handbook and syllabus are provided for students.
Students will be evaluated on attendance and observations by preceptor.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives
Can be applied towards Scholarly Concentration in Medical Education.
The course is 1 week. Longitudinal by semester. One credit per semester.
Elective may be repeated.