Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Bedside Ultrasound
- Short Name: MED661VM.01 Bedside Ultrasound
- Course Number: MED661VM.01
- Location: Reno
- Department: Office of Medical Education: Reno
Department Contact: Christine McHardy BSW
- Phone: (775) 682-7729
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Type: Clinical
- Length: Varies between 4 weeks and 8 weeks
- Darryl Calvo, M.D.
- Patrick Russell, M.D.
Please contact the Office of Medical Education: Reno to verify elective availability.
- Basic physics and operation of ultrasound equipment.
- Key indications, applications and procedures that benefit from the use of ultrasound.
- Methods to obtain proper views for an examination.
- Ultrasound use in standard emergency situations such as difficult vascular access, soft tissue infections, and joint effusions.
- Ultrasound use in multiple clinical situations and patient presentations (emergent, routine, and follow-up).
- Basic algorithm for ultrasound evaluation of shock.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives
Students opting for two days of clinical practice per week will complete the course requirements in 4 weeks.
Students opting for one day of clinical practice per week will complete the course requirements in 8 weeks.