Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Medical Spanish
- Short Name: MED663M.01 Medical Spanish
- Course Number: MED663M.01
- Location: Reno
- Department: Office of Medical Education: Reno
- Department Contact: Patrick Class, M.D.
- Type: Non-Clinical
- Length: Longitudinal
- Preceptor: Patrick Class, M.D.
Please contact the Office of Medical Education: Reno to verify elective availability.
- Acquire basic Spanish vocabulary needed to communicate about health and disease.
- Collect a pertinent medical history, perform a physical examination, and communicate a treatment plan for follow-up care with a Spanish speaking patient with limited English language skills.
- Practice verbal interactions in the classroom that mimic those utilized in typical primary care clinical settings.
Description of Rotation
The primary objective of this course is to encourage fourth year medical students to develop confidence in their language skills so that they can more confidently communicate with Spanish speaking patients in primary care clinical settings.
Spanish in the Medical Interview: a Textbook for Clinically Relevant Medical Spanish by Pilar Ortega, MD, Saunders Elsevier: Philadelphia 2007.
Vocabulary quizzes and oral examinations will be administered periodically throughout the semester. The final examination format will be a simulated patient encounter where the students must take a patient's history and perform a physical examination in Spanish.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives
The course is taught once a week for 2 hours February through April throughout the Spring Semester. (1 credit).
Textbook is Spanish and the Medical Interview by Pilar Ortega, available on Amazon, 2nd edition. It can be purchased and downloaded to students' laptops.