Individual Study/Research in Medical Education
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Individual Study/Research in Medical Education
- Short Name: MED690N.01 Indp Study Medical Ed
- Course Number: MED690N.01
- Location: Reno
- Department: Office of Medical Education: Reno
- Type: Non-Clinical
- Length: 2 - 4 Weeks
- Preceptor: Jennifer Bennett, MPH - For students participating in Scholarly Concentration in Medical Education; or Timothy Baker, M.D. for all other students
Please contact the Office of Medical Education: Reno to verify elective availability.
- Participate in or develop a scholarly project that will result in the acquisition of knowledge and skills in medical education.
Description of Rotation
Students develop their own study and research program with the assistance of a faculty member in the Office of Medical Education. Students can elect to do a variety of projects relevant to the educational process and outcomes of medical education. The student will develop a written proposal and approval prior to starting the elective. This will constitute a learning contract and will be a primary determinant of the student's evaluation. Projects may be quite diverse, including, but not limited to a scholarly paper, observational study, survey research, or a comparative study of learning outcomes. Students may participate in on-going medical education research or evaluation projects sponsored by the Office of Medical Education.
Students need to complete and submit a project proposal to their project advisor/mentor and the Office of Medical Education for review, approval and record.
Evaluation will be dependent on the learning contract and final product developed by the student during the elective.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives
Can be applied towards Scholarly Concentration in Medical Education.