Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Clinical Gynecology
- Short Name: OBGY661AM.01 Clinical Gynecology
- Course Number: OBGY661AM.01
- Location: Reno
Department Contact: Julie Moran B.S., LPN
- Phone: (775) 682-7936
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 2 - 4 Weeks
- Preceptor: Karen Abbott, M.D.
Please contact the department to verify elective availability.
- At the completion of this elective, the student should be able to describe the essentials of a gynecologic examination;
- Discuss the evaluation of the abnormal Pap smear;
- Discuss the endoscopic management of the patient with abnormal uterine bleeding;
- Describe the management of a patient with chronic pelvic pain making specific reference to medical and surgical treatment;
- Describe the requirements for obtaining appropriate consent for surgical procedures; outline the steps in the performance of a total hysterectomy with and without laparoscopic assistance;
- Discuss the essential elements in the postoperative management of patients who have had major gynecologic surgery.
Description of Rotation
This course is designed for the fourth year medical student interested in advancing clinical skills in general gynecology through participation in a referral gynecology practice both in an ambulatory setting and in the operating theater.
Standard texts, plus journal articles pertinent to the maintenance of current standard of care.
Written evaluation based on observation.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives
Grades will be based on the extent to which the goals and objectives described above are achieved.
Limited to UNR Med students only.