OBGY661CM.11 (Las Vegas)
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Clinical Obstetrics
- Short Name: OBGY661CM.11 Clinical Obstetrics
- Course Number: OBGY661CM.11
- Location: Las Vegas
- Department: Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology: Las Vegas
Department Contact: Jessie Herrero
- Phone: (702) 671-2317
- Email: email@example.com
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 4 Weeks
- Preceptor: OB/GYN Department Faculty
Please contact the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology: Las Vegas to verify elective availability.
- Clinical Obstetrics is an intensive course designed to extend knowledge and skills in the clinical obstetrics beyond that of the core clerkship;
- At the completion of this rotation, the student should be able to discuss the evaluation and management of normal and “high risk” pregnancies;
- Topics will include postpartum hemorrhage, chorioamnionitis, endomyometritis, mastitis, induction of labor, vaginal birth after cesarean delivery, preterm labor, abnormal placentation, vaginal bleeding in pregnancy, preterm premature rupture of membranes, diabetes, multiple gestations, and hypertensive disorders of pregnancy;
- Students should be able to list the indications for noninvasive antepartum testing;
- Describe the indications for, and the technique of, external version;
- Outline the steps in the performance of a primary cesarean section, including strategies to avoid postoperative hemorrhage and infection.
Description of Rotation
The 4th-year medical student will actively participate in the management of patients with obstetrical, medical or surgical complications as a member of the house staff team.
Standard texts in maternal-fetal medicine are advised.
Student evaluation prepared by faculty.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives