PATH662M.11 (Las Vegas)
Preceptorship in Forensic Pathology
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Preceptorship in Forensic Pathology
- Short Name: PATH662M.11 Precept Forensic Path
- Course Number: PATH662M.11
- Location: Las Vegas
- Department: Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Department Contact: Lynda McLellan
- Phone: (775) 784-7034
- Email: email@example.com
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 3-4 Weeks
- Preceptor: Lary Simms, M.D.
Please contact the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine to verify elective availability.
- The objective/goal is for the students to have the opportunity to obtain a general knowledge of performing an autopsy.
- To be able to discuss and understand the significance of diseases and injuries, lethal and non-lethal.
Description of Rotation
The Clark County Coroner-Medical Examiner Department will provide the opportunity for students to observe and participate in the performance of autopsies involving a wide variety of natural diseases and numerous major trauma cases. Microscopic study of interesting lesions will be available and encouraged. Students will have the opportunity to accompany a senior investigator in the field investigation of sudden death; and to accompany medical examiners to court sessions, both at the preliminary hearing and district court levels.
Students will be evaluated on their clinical skills (see clerkship evaluation form) and extent to which they demonstrate a willingness to learn from and participate in the elective experience.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives
Grade is 70% based on participation and 30% on clinical skills.