Independent Study in Pathology/Laboratory Medicine
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Independent Study in Pathology/Laboratory Medicine
- Short Name: PATH690M.01 Indp Study Path/Lab Med
- Course Number: PATH690M.01
- Location: Reno
- Department: Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Department Contact: Lynda McLellan
- Phone: (775) 784-7034
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 2-4 Weeks
- Adele Fung, M.D.
- Christie Elliott, M.D.
Please contact the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine to verify elective availability.
- • The objective of this rotation is for the student to feel confident interpreting standard medical laboratory tests and to improve clinical skills.
Description of Rotation
- An individualized course of study in one or more of the following sub-disciplines of pathology (some areas will depend on the availability of specimens):
- Exposure to surgical pathology including outpatient surgeries and fine needle aspiration biopsies;
- Observe pathology, clinical microbiology, cytology, and public health laboratories;
- Clinical Chemistry (clinical correlations with chemistry results);
- Clinical Immunology (use of the laboratory to help diagnose autoimmune diseases);
- Hematopathology (look at blood smears and hematology data to evaluate clinical problems).
- The student will discuss lab test results with laboratory personnel and present clinical case studies to physician instructor.
Evaluation by instructor; each student will be required to keep a daily record of the cases he/she has reviewed and an account of what he/she learned from that case.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives