PEDI661CM.11 (Las Vegas)
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine
- Short Name: PEDI661CM.11 Neonatal-Perinatal Med
- Course Number: PEDI661CM.11
- Location: Las Vegas
- Department: Department of Pediatrics: Las Vegas
Department Contact: Virginia Slywka
- Phone: (702) 671-2231
- Email: email@example.com
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 4 Weeks
- Preceptor: Francis Banfro, M.D. and Associates
Please contact the Department of Pediatrics: Las Vegas to verify elective availability.
- To gain an understanding of the normal physiology and the disorders that occur in the fetus and newborn.
Description of Rotation
The overall goal of this elective is to learn to recognize the fetus and newborn at risk for life threatening or handicapping conditions and to begin to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to care for the perinatal patient under such circumstances. Students will be involved in obstetrical decision making regarding fetal and neonatal well-being, delivery room resuscitation, acute care emergencies, and ongoing care of the neonate with medical and surgical conditions.
Taeusch, H.W., Ballard, R.A., Avery, M.E. Schaffer and Avery's Diseases of the Newborn. W.B. Saunders Co.
History/Physical examination skills, presentations, participation and attendance. Standard pediatric clerkship evaluation form.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives