PEDI661GM.11 (Las Vegas)
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Pediatric Cardiology
- Short Name: PEDI661GM.11 Pedi Cardiology
- Course Number: PEDI661GM.11
- Location: Las Vegas
- Department: Department of Pediatrics: Las Vegas
Department Contact: Virginia Slywka
- Phone: (702) 671-2231
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 4 Weeks
- Preceptor: Abraham Rothman, MD and Associates
Please contact the Department of Pediatrics: Las Vegas to verify elective availability.
- The student will gain an understanding of the common signs and symptoms suggestive of a cardiovascular etiology through knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of the cardiovascular system as it relates to the subspecialty of pediatric cardiology.
Description of Rotation
The rotation will be primarily office based with emphasis on evaluation and therapy of outpatients with known or suspected heart disease. The student will be encouraged to see new patients independently and then all cases will be presented to an attending physician who will review the student's findings and supervise treatment. A series of didactic lectures will be presented, focusing on issues relevant to recent clinical cases. The student will also occasionally participate in inpatient rounds and consultations. The student will be exposed to diagnostic and therapeutic techniques in the cardiac catheterization laboratory, the echocardiography suite, and if desired, the operating room.
- Course manual to be provided to student.
- Moss and Adams Heart Disease in Infants, Children, and Adolescents, including the Fetus and Young Adult, sixth edition. Hugh D. Allen editor, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2001.
Based on subjective assessment by all attendings over the course of the rotation.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives