PEDI661MM.11 (Las Vegas)
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- Short Name: PEDI661MM.11 Pedi Hemat/Oncology
- Course Number: PEDI661MM.11
- Location: Las Vegas
- Department: Department of Pediatrics: Las Vegas
Department Contact: Virginia Slywka
- Phone: (702) 671-2231
- Email: email@example.com
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 4 Weeks
- Preceptor: Alexandria Walsh, M.D.
Please contact the Department of Pediatrics: Las Vegas to verify elective availability.
- The student will gain an understanding of basic hematopoiesis and cell growth as it applies to disorders of the hematopoietic system and oncologic disorders as well as to be able to evaluate a child for a hematopoietic or hemostatic defect.
Description of Rotation
The student will evaluate patients in both an inpatient and outpatient setting as well as to view, within the laboratory, the technology of laboratory testing as it applies to hematology and hemostatic testing. Twice weekly, one hour lectures and discussion with the preceptor, will review a variety of basic hematologic topics.
- Nathan and Oski's "Hematology of Infancy and Childhood" textbook
- Pizzo & Poplack's "Principles and Practice of Pediatric Oncology" textbook
Standard pediatric clerkship evaluation form. Subjective.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives