PEDI661SM.11 (Las Vegas)
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Pediatric Orthopedics
- Short Name: PEDI661SM.11 Pedi Orthopaedics
- Course Number: PEDI661SM.11
- Location: Las Vegas
- Department: Department of Pediatrics: Las Vegas
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 4 Weeks
- Preceptor: Jonathan F. Camp, M.D.
Please contact the Department of Pediatrics: Las Vegas to verify elective availability.
- To gain an understanding of the common orthopedic disorders affecting children including the diagnostic methods utilized and treatment modalities
Description of Rotation
The fourth year student will participate in the evaluation and care of pediatric orthopaedic patients both in an outpatient and inpatient setting. A variety of common orthopaedic problems will be demonstrated and reviewed, including the recognition and management of fractures, dislocations, congenital and developmental musculoskeletal disorders, and scoliosis management. Emphasis on accurate diagnosis and proper use of x-rays will be demonstrated. Principles and techniques of casting and operative procedures will be incorporated into the learning experience.
- Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics. Orthopedic Problems section.
- Lovel and Winter. Pediatric Orthopedics.
Based on subjective assessment of attendings over course of rotation.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives