SURG661DN.11 (Las Vegas)
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Pediatric Surgery
- Short Name: SURG661DN.11 Pediatric Surgery
- Course Number: SURG661DN.11
- Location: Las Vegas
- Department: Department of Surgery: Las Vegas
Department Contact: Tina Brechlin
- Phone: (702) 671-6474
- Email: email@example.com
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 2 - 4 weeks
- Preceptor: Michael Scheidler, M.D.
Please contact the Department of Surgery: Las Vegas to verify elective availability.
- Discuss important aspects of preoperative and postoperative care of pediatric surgical patients.
- Identify treatment options and approaches for treating common pediatric surgical problems.
- List at least three uncommon pediatric surgical diseases.
- Understand the pathophysiology and/or embryology of at least three uncommon pediatric surgical diseases.
- Describe the diagnostic evaluation and treatment options for at least three uncommon pediatric surgical diseases.
- Demonstrate technical skills appropriate to level of training.
Description of Rotation
Evaluation of patients will be in both an inpatient and outpatient office care setting including working in the operating room with a pediatric surgical attending. Reading assignments will be given for discussion purposes. The student will be able to observe and participate in the use of proper surgical sterile techniques.
- Pediatric Surgery, 6th Ed. (2 volume set), Authors: Grosfeld, O'Neill, Fonkalsrud, Coran. Publisher:
- Mosbyu-Elsevier, 2006
- Pediatric Surgery, 4th Ed., Authors: Ashcraft, Holcomb, Murphy. Publisher: Elsevier-Saunders, 2005
- Operative Pediatric Surgery, 6th Ed., Authors: Spitz and Coran. Publisher: Hodder-Arnold, 2006
Subjective utilizing the standard evaluation form.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives