General Surgery Sub-Internship
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: General Surgery Sub-Internship
- Short Name: SURG661FM.01 Gen Surgery Sub-I
- Course Number: SURG661FM.01
- Location: Reno
- Department: Department of Surgery: Las Vegas
Department Contact: Jennifer Grove
- Phone: (775) 682-7714
- Email: email@example.com
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 2 - 4 weeks
- John Haller, M.D.
- VA Medical Center
Please contact the Department of Surgery: Las Vegas to verify elective availability.
- • Learn the presentation, pathophysiology and treatment of surgical diseases with correlation of this information with operative techniques.
Description of Rotation
The student functions as a sub-intern on the general surgery service. The student is assigned to one of
the general surgery PGY-5s Chief Residents. The student will function at an intern level and will share duties. The student is on call every third night and participates in departmental didactic sessions, service clinic and all phases of pre-operative evaluation, as well as pre-operative, intra-operative and post-operative care. This rotation is designed as a "hands-on" intensive experience in all phases of clinical and general surgical care. An emphasis on colorectal or surgical-oncology can be arranged. Attendance at private office hours allows for one-on-one interaction with attending physicians.
Schwartz. Principles of Surgery. McGraw Hill
Written evaluation by the faculty preceptor.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives