SURG661PM.11 (Las Vegas)
Critical Care Surgery
Office of Medical Education
- Course Name: Critical Care Surgery
- Short Name: SURG661PM.11 Critical Care Surgery
- Course Number: SURG661PM.11
- Location: Las Vegas
- Department: Department of Surgery: Las Vegas
Department Contact: Tina Brechlin
- Phone: (702) 671-6474
- Email: email@example.com
- Type: Clinical
- Length: 2 - 4 Weeks
- Preceptor: Deborah A. Kuhls, M.D.
Please contact the Department of Surgery: Las Vegas to verify elective availability.
- Learn the evaluation techniques of intensive care medicine with the application of the data to specific patient problems.
- Master the pathophysiology of initial care patients.
Description of Rotation
Students will function at the sub-intern level on a surgical/ critical care consult service, caring for critically ill trauma and general surgical patients in a multi-disciplinary ICU. Didactic sessions, ICU rounds and patient care activities will concentrate on hemodynamic monitoring and the pathophysiology of 02 transport, shock and multi-system organ failure. Students will round with faculty. Call can be taken in the Intensive Care Unit or Trauma Resuscitation. Critical Care skills curriculum is included in this elective.
Marino, The ICU book
Written evaluation by the faculty preceptor.
- Honors: An exceptional performance which exceeds all course objectives
- High Pass: A performance which exceeds most course objectives
- Pass: A performance which meets the course objectives
- Fail: A performance which does not meet the course objectives