Timeline for School of Medicine Students
Scheduling and Evaluation Procedures for 4th Year Electives
The Office of Medical Education provides a 4th Year Elective workshop for third year students where they receive information about:
- How to create fourth year schedules
- Requirements that must be met during the fourth year
- Deadlines for schedule submission and subsequent changes
- Students must turn in the required Rural Rotation preference form to Administrative Assistant by March 3rd, 2017
- Students receive their assigned dates and location on March 6th, 2-17 from the Director of Rural Medical
- Students may not sign up for any elective rotations prior to receiving their rural rotation assignment
- Students must submit a 4th Year schedule to the Office of Medical Education for approval by the Associate Dean of Medical Education or the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs in Las Vegas that meets all requirements as outlined in the Elective Handbook
- The clinical career advisor must sign off on the final schedule before it is submitted to the Office of Medical Education
- The Office of Medical Education begins entering approved 4th Year schedules into the Yr4 Electives Master Schedule (Yr4 Electives) in One45. As electives are entered into this program they will populate into the Schedule grid in each department's One45 program.
- Students will be making schedule changes during this period as they are approved for AWAY rotations, residency interviews and as they finalize their residency preferences.
- Students must have all schedule changes signed by both of the elective administrators involved in the schedule change if the schedule revision involves more than one department.
- December 1st is the deadline for Fall semester schedule changes. Schedule change requests received after this date must be approved by the Associate Dean for Medical Education and will only be allowed for specific reasons such as residency interviews and preceptor availability.
December 1st - February 1st
- Students may make elective schedule changes for Spring semester until February 1st and must have all schedule changes signed by both/all of the Department Assistants involved in the schedule change if the schedule revision involves more than one department.
- Schedule change requests received after February 1st must be approved by the Associate Dean of Medical Education and will only be allowed for extenuating circumstances.
- Last minute schedule changes NOT approved by OME, may result in a student receiving a failing grade for an elective rotation that is not completed.
- Schedule change requests received less than two weeks prior to the start date of any elective will require a compelling reason, such as a medical emergency or financial hardship, and must be approved by the Associate Dean of Medical Education.
Late June-Late April
- Students participate in elective rotations, both School of Medicine based rotations and AWAY rotations.