Year 4 Medical Students
Advising for Year 4
Welcome to your final year of medical school! This year is a time to decide upon a specialty, choose to take elective courses in the medicine you are interested in exploring, travel to other medical schools or out of the country for learning experiences, interview for residency, learn where you'll be for the rest of your training and finally, graduate. The 4th Year Class page has links to many of the resources you will need in preparation for residency and graduation.
- Scheduling Your 4th Year: please review the Office of Medical Education for information on electives, year 4 structure and rural rotation information.
- Applying to Residency: you should have already reviewed the timeline for scheduling year 4 and applying for residencies in year 3
- ERAS - Electronic Residency Application Service
- NRMP - National Residency Matching Program
- Early Match (San Francisco Match) and Military Match
- American Urological Association - Urology Match (early)
- Outcomes of the Match - Characteristics of Matched Applicants as tracked by the NRMP
- Students can attend workshops, receive career advising, and other services from the Office of Student Affairs, Reno and Las Vegas campuses, as they begin their final year of medical school.
- AAMC Organization of Student Representatives (OSR) Applying to Residency Advice
- Interviewing for Residency
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Personal Statements
- Letters of Recommendation
- Medical Student Performance Evaluations (MSPE)
Financial Exit Interviews - debt management workshops are required for all senior medical students who took out federal loans during medical school. These workshops are held each March or April of senior year.