Wellness in the News
Department of Student Affairs
Here are a list of articles that we have found to be useful in promoting health and wellbeing while being a medical student.
- New Medical School Programs Help Students Battle Burnout
- U.S. News and World Report, 2013
- Medical Student Burnout and the Challenge to Patient Care
- The New York Times, October 2008
- A Medical School More Like Hogwarts
- The New York Times, December 2011
Research and Commentary Articles
- Resilience in the third year of medical school: a prospective study of the associations between stressful events occurring during clinical rotations and student well-being.
- Haglund ME et al., Academic Medicine. 2009 Feb;84(2):258-68
- Depression, Stigma, and Suicidal Ideation in Medical Students
- Schwenk, T. L., Davis,L., & Wimsatt L.A., JAMA. 2010;304(11):1181-1190.
- A qualitative study of physicians' own wellness-promotion practices
- Weiner E. L., Swain G.R., Wolf, B., & Gottlieb, M., Western Journal of Medicine. Jan 2001; 174(1): 19-23.
- White Coat, Mood Indigo - Depression in Medical School
- Rosenthal, J. M. & Okie S., New England Journal of Medicine. 2005; 353:1085-1088
- The state of medical student wellness: a call for culture change.
- Seritan A., Hunt J., Shy A., Rea M., & Worley L., Academic Psychiatry. 2012 Jan 1;36(1):7-10.
- Physician resilience: what it means, why it matters, and how to promote it.
- Epstein R.M. & Krasner M.S., Academic Medicine. 2013 Mar;88(3):301-3.
- Exemplary physicians' strategies for avoiding burnout.
- Meldrum H., Health Care Manager. 2010 Oct-Dec;29(4):324-31.
- Medical student distress: causes, consequences, and proposed solutions.
- Dyrbye L.N., Thomas M.R., & Shanafelt T.D., Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2005 Dec;80(12):1613-22.
- If every fifth physician is affected by burnout, what about the other four? Resilience strategies of experienced physicians.
- Zwack J. & Schweitzer J., Academic Medicine. 2013 Mar;88(3):382-9.
- Facilitating resident well-being: a pilot intervention to address stress and teamwork issues on an inpatient service.
- Devens M., Hasnain M., Dudkiewicz B., & Connell K.J., Family Medicine. 2012 Apr;44(4):265-8.
- A wellness program for first year medical students.
- McGrady A., Brennan J., Lynch D., & Whearty K., Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback. 2012 Dec;37(4):253-60.
- A comprehensive medical student wellness program — design and implementation at Vanderbilt School of Medicine.
- Drolet B.C. & Rodgers S. Academic Medicine, 2010 Jan;85(1):103-10.
- Medical student mental health 3.0: improving student wellness through curricular changes.
- Slavin S.J., Schindler D.L., & Chibnall J.T., Academic Medicine. 2014 Apr;89(4):573-7.