Orientation Week Schedule
Department of Student Affairs
Orientation week is a chance for you as an incoming student to get to know more about the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine and where you'll spend the majority of the next few years of your life. You'll meet your new classmates, faculty and administration. You'll get to know the ins and outs of the Pennington Health Sciences Building and the UNR campus. The Orientation Committee will guide you along the way to make the transition to medical school smooth.
Orientation Itinerary for the Class of 2020
(all activities in PHS 103 unless otherwise noted)
Monday, August 8, 2016
- 8:00 am Welcome & Continental Breakfast, PHS Foyer
- 8:30 am Faculty Welcome Presentation and Introduction of Faculty and Staff of the Office of Admissions and Student Affairs and the Office of Medical Education - Thomas Schwenk, M.D., Vice President for Health Sciences, Dean of the School of Medicine; Melissa Piasecki, M.D., Executive Associate Dean; Timothy K. Baker, M.D., Associate Dean, Office of Medical Education; Cherie A. Singer, Ph.D., Associate Dean for Student Affairs
- 9:00 am Student Handbook and Resources Information - Cherie A. Singer, Ph.D.
- 10:00 am Orientation Reminders - Pat Romney, Admissions Coordinator
- 10:15 am Financial Planning - Leonard Walker, Assistant Director of Financial Aid and Scholarships
- 11:00 am Registrar Duties - Brandi Aiazzi, Coordinator, Medical School Records & Registration
- 11:15 am Introduction to Learning and Resource Center - Ranna Nash, M.A., Coordinator, Academic Enrichment
- 11:30 am "Clinical Aspects of the Student Outreach Program"
- 12:00 pm Lunch, PHS Foyer, provided by Marketing and Communications
- 1:00 pm Launch of the new branding of the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine
Tuesday, August 9, 2016
- 8:00 am Continental Breakfast, PHS Foyer
- 8:20 am Introduction to the Curriculum - Timothy K. Baker, M.D.
- 8:45 am Group Learning - Formation of Groups, Team Building Exercise, Overview of First Year Curriculum - Dr. Falkenberg, M.D. and Maria Valencik, Ph.D.
- 10:00 am Break
- 10:15 am Case of the Week Program - David J. Howard M.D., Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Director, Curricular Operations, Years 1-2
- 10:30 am WebCampus Overview - Suzi Stempeck, IT; ExamSoft Overview - Jeff Weinert, Coordinator, Online Assessment
- 11:00 am Grading, Evaluation, Feedback and Remediation - Timothy K. Baker, M.D.; Gwen Shonkwiler Ph.D., Director, Evaluation and Assessment; and Ranna Nash, M.A.
- 12:00 pm Lunch and Meet the Block Directors
- 1:00 pm Professional Seminar/Evaluations, Cherie A. Singer, Ph.D. and David J. Howard M.D., Ph.D.
- 2:30 pm Technology Orientation - Robert Boyd, Bill Swager, Michael Jackson; Computer Set-up *Bring Laptop and Network Cord*
- 4:30-5:30 pm Welcome Reception for Incoming School of Medicine Students, Artisan's Café, Renown Hospital
- 7:00 pm Welcome Back Party, Location TBA (reminder: photos Wednesday morning)
Wednesday, August 10, 2016
- 8:00 am Continental Breakfast, PHS Foyer, provided by the Alliance with the Washoe County Medical Society
- 8:00 am First Year Photos, PHS Foyer (rolling Key Card pick up at Wolf Card Office - see Pat for schedule)
- 9:15 am Alumni Welcome - University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine Alumni Association; Washoe County Medical Association Welcome - Dr. Thomas Killeen, WCMS President
- 10:00 am OSHA/HIPAA Training and Certification - J.A. Epperson and Jordan Davenport
- 11:30 am Student Organizations/Community Service/Student Interest Group Sign-Ups, PHS Foyer
- 12:00 pm Lunch and Military Recruiters Presentation
- 1:20 pm Online Key Card Registration
- 1:30 pm Student Video Recording Policy and Guidelines - William Murphy-Sharp M.S. Ed., Director, Standardized Patient Education Program
- 2:00 pm "What to Expect" Seminar and Introduction of SI Leaders - Ranna Nash, Coordinator for Academic Enrichment/Learning Specialist, "Round Table Wellness" - Wellness Outreach
- 5:00 pm- Student Outreach Clinic
Thursday, August 11, 2016
- Free day to wrap up school preparations and receive family arriving for Family Day
Friday, August 12, 2016
- See Family Day agenda for more detailed information