Cohort-based program | 12-1pm
Register if interested
Registration Coming Soon
This clinic is aimed at Community Health Workers with specific aims to help increase their capacity knowledge base with respect to diabetes education. Our goal with this series is to increase confidence and skills for Nevada's Community Health Workers who work with patients/clients with diabetes by providing evidence based resources, tools, and support. This program not only gives CHWs an opportunity to review and discuss their clients with an expert in the field, it also provides didactic topic areas focused on Easy Wins and Lifestyle Strategies for Using Nutrition to Combat Diabetes.
- Session #1: Program Orientation
- Session #2: Introduction into Healthy Nutrition, Dietary Guidelines and Easy Wins
- Session #3: Carbohydrate Counting and Managing Hyperglycemia and Hypoglycemia
- Session #4: Grocery Shopping, Cooking Tips, Reading Labels, Meal Plans
- Session #5: Physical Activity, Staying Active
- Session #6: Motivational Interviewing, Reducing Bias and Being a Good Role Model
- Karmella Thomas, RD, CDE. Karmella trained at the University of Nevada, Reno, in both biology and nutrition. She has a certificate of Specialized Training in Adult Weight Management from the American Dietetic Association She also earned the Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) credential in June 2012.
- Mordechai Lavi, MD. Mordechai Lavi is geriatric certified internist with an interest in nutrition. Dr. Lavi is driven by the hope that improving the knowledge base of all those in our community is a key to developing a healthier Nevada. He is excited to support Karmella Thomas as we educate Nevada's community health workers using the ECHO model.
- Maricres Crisler, Director of Clinic Operations, FirstMed Health and Wellness. Maricres Crisler is currently employed as Director of Clinical Operations at FirstMed Health and Wellness in Las Vegas, an FQHC who takes great care of the underserved population. She earned her Bachelors degrees in Biology and Nursing as well as an MD in the Philippines.
Program didactic and reference materials will be sent to participants after each session. For questions regarding these materials, please contact us at Projectecho@med.unr.edu
Continuing Medical Education (CME) Accreditation
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)