Social Security Card

International Undergraduate Research Program

You will need to apply for a Social Security Card to be eligible to work on campus. The following list of acceptable documents (must be current, not expired) are required by Social Security to submit an application: Form I-94 with your unexpired foreign passport and visa and DS-2019. Other required documents include: the Social Security Application form, and the on-campus Employment Letter provided by the Physiology and Cell Biology Department, signed by Dr. Ward and OISS.

Once you have submitted the Social Security Application form for a social security card, you will be given a letter confirming your application (view a sample letter).

Give the letter to Wella in the Physiology and Cell Biology Department. You will not be able to complete the Employment Paperwork without this letter.

When you have received your social security card (4-6 weeks), please bring the card to Wella. Your employment status is dependent upon receipt of the card. You cannot be paid beyond 12 weeks from your start date if you have not provided the card to Wella.

The Social Security Office is located at 1170 Harvard Way, Reno, Nevada. The Social Security Office is located at the corner of Vassar Street and Harvard Way.

Social Security Office
1170 Harvard Way
Reno, NV 89502
Local Number: (888) 808-5481>
National Toll-Free: (800) 772-1213
Office Hours:
Monday-Tuesday, 9:00am-4:00pm.  Wednesday 9:00am-12:00pm.  Thursday-Friday, 9:00am-4:00pm

Closed: Saturday, Sunday and on federal holidays

Transportation to Social Security Office

Most students prefer to take an Uber, Lyft, or taxi to the Social Security office.

A bus route is also available:

Take the Sierra Spirit Bus ($0.25 exact change) from campus to the downtown RTC 4th Street Bus Station. View map of Sierra Spirit Bus Route

Take the city RTC bus #9 ($2.00 exact change) from the 4th Street Station to the Social Security Office. View a map to the Social Security Office.