The medical school application process starts approximately 18 months ahead of when you are planning on entering medical school. Prior to that time, we encourage you to meet with pre-professional advisors, utilize AAMC resources and attend UNR Med information sessions to become familiar with application requirements and selection criteria.
January - April
- Register to take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) no later than September of the year you plan to apply. Study for the MCAT exam.
- In preparation for completing your medical school application ,start compiling a list (or update your resume) with all clinical, academic, extracurricular, community service, paid employment and research experiences including descriptions, contact information and dates.
- Draft your personal statement. Have it reviewed by multiple people, including your school's writing center director, your pre-professional advisor and other trusted professors, doctors, etc.
- Identify and ask individuals to write your letters of recommendation. Meet with them to discuss your medical school goals and consider providing them with a copy of your resume and a drafts of your personal statement.
- Create an account with the American College Application Service (AMCAS) and designate the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine to receive your AMCAS application.
- Provide references with information on how submit their letters of recommendation.
- Schedule a time to take the CASPer situational judgement test.
AMCAS Application may be submitted. AMCAS can take up to eight weeks to verify your application and release it to UNR Med. You will receive a Secondary Application after your AMCAS application is released to UNR Med.
Early Decision Program applications are due. Early Decision applicants, including Post-Baccaulaureate candidates will receive their acceptance decisions by or on October 1.
UNR Med conducts Multi-Mini Interviews. If selected for an interview, you will be notified at least two weeks in advance.
- AMCAS Applications due.
- Submit the Federal Application for Financial Student Assistance (FAFSA).
December - March
Applications are reviewed by the admissions committee. Decision notifications and enrollment requirements are sent via email on or near December 15, January 15, February 15 and March 15.
January - July
- AAMC Acceptance Protocols provide candidates with deadlines for notifying medical schools of their intent to accept or decline their acceptance offers.
- Admitted students complete enrollment steps.
Admitted candidates are invited to return to campus for a Second Look.
Immunizations due for incoming students.
First day of classes at UNR Med.